Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Dad Furious After Finding This Crayon Written Paper In 4th Grader's Backpack "I Am Willing To Give Up Some Of My Constitutional Rights To Be Safer"

The Problem goes Deeper than Junk Medical Scientism

The Blaze has;
Dad Furious After Finding This Crayon Written Paper In 4th Grader's Backpack "I Am Willing To Give Up Some Of My Constitutional Rights To Be Safer"
 


Editor’s note: ​The school district has said a “review and investigation” will occur. Read more here.
The words are written in crayon, in the haphazard bumpiness of a child’s scrawl.
“I am willing to give up some of my constitutional rights in order to be safer or more secure.”
They’re the words that Florida father Aaron Harvey was stunned to find his fourth-grade son had written, after a lesson in school about the Constitution.
Kandra Albury, a spokeswoman for Duvall County Public Schools, which includes Cedar Hills, told TheBlaze she didn’t know what prompted Sabb to have students write the sentence.
She said the principal had fielded one parent’s concern about the lesson in January, but it wasn’t Harvey. She said Thursday the district and principal were “checking into” what had happened.
Harvey, rather than asking the school for answers when he found the paper, wrote his concerns in an email, which was then forwarded to TheBlaze. He said he did it that way because he wasn’t sure he would have gotten a straightforward answer if he asked the school directly.
He said he just wants to see a “proper, unbiased education” system and doesn’t want any kind of religion or politics brought into the classroom.
“I believe in our Constitution. I am a veteran, I served for six-and-a-half years proudly and I served to protect our rights,” he said. “Now whenever I have someone coming in and trying to pollute my child’s mind with biased opinions…there’s no education in that.”
​Update, 11:36 a.m.:​ Harvey told TheBlaze he received a call from the school Friday morning that featured the principal, guidance counselor and Sabb. He was told the sentence came during the lesson with the lawyer, that Sabb had nothing to do with it, and that Harvey’s son “wrote it on his own free will.”
Harvey said he had spoken to a girl in the class who specifically said Sabb handpicked students to write the sentence.
“All the children are pointing at the teacher,” Harvey said Friday. “They [the school] told me that my son wrote that on his own free will — there’s no way he knew how to write that on his own free will. He likes to use some big words to flourish — [but] if he was going to put together a sentence that political I’m sure it would be more jumbled than a nice sentence like that.”
​Update, 4:20 p.m.: ​Read the school district’s response here.
​Editor’s note: TheBlaze has withheld the name of the child at the father’s request.

Thank You The Blaze and Ms Morgenstern

No comments: