Thursday, October 27, 2016

France Tells Migrants To Forget About Ever Going Back To 'Calais Jungle' Camp


Via Reuters:
Bulldozers cleared mounds of debris and demolished makeshift shelters in the “Jungle” migrant camp on Thursday, and French authorities said more than 6,000 people had been evacuated from the squalid site.
Charities said hundreds of migrants might have fled the camp rather than take part in a program to rehouse them in towns across the country.
A Reuters reporter on Thursday saw dozens of migrants, including children, still in the western part of the camp, where the dismantling had not yet started.
The Jungle, a ramshackle, overcrowded shanty town, came to symbolize Europe’s difficulty in dealing with record inflows of migrants from impoverished and wartorn regions of Africa, the Middle East and Asia, many of them bent on crossing the sea from Calais to Britain.
Socialist President Francois Hollande, facing an election six months from now, decided under local pressure to close the Jungle and relocate its inhabitants in towns and villages throughout the country pending examination of their cases.
“By next Monday, the camp will be no more. It is already gone but the (demolition) job will be finished by Monday evening,” local government prefect Fabienne Buccio told reporters as earthmovers flattened the camp, where the evacuation started on Monday.
She said more than 6,000 migrants had signed up to be taken to other parts of the country as planned, and that matched the number of people who had been living there.
One high-ranking local official, speaking on condition that he not be identified, said the camp was not totally empty.

Thank You Reuters and Zip 

No comments: